Step 1: Complete the FAFSA
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
To view a helpful guide on completing the FAFSA click on these links: 2016-17 version of "7 Easy Steps to Completing the FAFSA Video
" OR 2017-18 version of "7 Easy Steps to Completing the FAFSA Video
To view a helpful video on creating an FSA ID, click on this link: How to Create an FSA ID
For enrollment periods between 07/01/16 and 06/30/17, complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA
using your 2015 Federal tax return information. For enrollment periods between 07/01/17 and 06/30/18, complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA
using your 2015 Federal tax return information*
Ottawa University's Federal School Code: 001937
Be sure to electronically sign the application with your FSA ID. Failure to do so will create delays in the processing of your financial aid.
If you don’t already have a FSA ID, you can create one HERE
If you have a prior FSA PIN, you can link your old PIN to your new FSA ID and this will expedite the authentication process.
*IRS Data Retrieval
You are going to be prompted to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while completing the FAFSA. If eligible to use this tool, please do so since this should help to reduce the amount of additional information that we may need to collect later on. Click on this link
to view an infomative video on this process.
Hints for using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Have your Federal Tax Return nearby
- Use your exact mailing address as it appears on your Federal Tax Return
- Do not change any of the data after importing it to your FAFSA
- If you had a retirement plan rollover (as indicated in the left margin of your Federal Tax Return near lines 15 and 16), please do not change any of your IRS data and be sure to submit a copy of your 1099-R to us so we can make the appropriate adjustment on your behalf.You will want to request a Federal Tax Transcript and have it available in the event that you are selected for a process called “Verification”. You can request a tax transcript by:
- Online request:
- Go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript and select "Get Transcript Online"
- Answer all of the questions and create an account
- Select "Higher Education/Student Aid" as the reason for requesting the transcript
- Select the appropriate year under the "Return Transcript" section
- Print and submit the Tax Return Transcript to Ottawa University
- Telephone request:
- Call the IRS automated attendant at 1-800-908-9946
- Select the appropriate language
- Input Social Security Number and verify
- Input the numbers in the street address used for your tax return
- Select option 2 for tax return transcript
- Input the appropriate tax year (see FAFSA cut off dates above)
- Tax filers can expect a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript to be mailed within 5-10 days
- Paper request
- Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ.
- This process is slower because of mail time to/from the IRS.