“Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called children of God.” Matthew 5:9
Dear Lord, as I prepare to celebrate your coming to earth and the love and joy of the season ahead, I want to cherish this time of anticipation with hope. I believe Advent is truly about welcoming a new Era of God’s love for us through the gift of his son. Despite this belief, I struggle to focus on the promise of your birth, when I am so focused on the pain and suffering of those affected by the wars around us.
I know that despite this chaos I desire to fully appreciate and participate in this time of preparation through prayer and service. Since I find that difficult at this time I humbly come before you with these petitions and ask for your help as I try to do the following during this Advent season:
- I need to pray to you for peace; knowing that only through your love and grace can these conflicts truly end.
- I need to pray to continue to trust in you during difficult times.
- I need to pray for the grace to be aware of God’s presence in all things.
- I need to pray that all find the joy in this blessed season of preparation.
- I need to pray for the ability to focus on your purpose during this time vs. other distractions or worries.
- I need to pray to always recognize your love in my life and be thankful for your gifts.
“But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” Matthew 5:44
“He will be a Joy and Delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth.” Luke 1:14
In your name Lord, we pray, we rejoice. Amen.
by Mary Alice Grosser