For professionals looking to specialize in trauma studies, Ottawa University offers a graduate certificate specially designed for those who want to work in the trauma response and crisis intervention field, assisting those who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and survivors of abuse, violence, war, crime and more.
About Our Certification Program
As a student of our certification in trauma counseling program in Arizona, you will learn the three-stage model of trauma therapy, as well as master the following counselor education course topics:
- Fundamental theory for treatment of trauma, abuse and deprivation
- Clinical assessment and treatment of trauma, abuse and deprivation
- Advanced clinical applications in trauma, abuse and deprivation
- Expressive arts therapies
- Assessment and treatment of child trauma
In addition to treatment for PTSD and therapy for depression, you will learn the basics of using expressive arts therapy in treating trauma in adults and children and cover substance abuse counselor topics.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for counselors is estimated to rise 30% by 2022. Upon earning your certificate in trauma counseling, you can seek a career as a licensed professional counselor in:
- Outpatient mental health and substance abuse centers
- Nursing and residential care facilities
- Individual and family services
- State and local government agencies
For more information on continuing education for counselors and our graduate certificate program in trauma response and crisis intervention, contact us today.
Licensing/certification requirements vary state to state. Students are responsible for checking the requirements for their respective states.