RN-to-BSN Admission Requirements
Take the first step toward your degree.
The following are Ottawa University RN-to-BSN admissions requirements to be considered for admission. Our Enrollment Advisors are always available to help if you have questions.
- A completed Ottawa University application for admission (you can apply online or at any of our locations)
- Current, unrestricted RN licensure in the United States (must be maintained throughout the program). Licenses will be verified.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check. Applicant is responsible for this cost.
- Two professional or academic references. Download reference form here (PDF).
- Career Statement of professional experience and goals in nursing (no more than 2 pages). Please include current and previous work experience as an RN (due to the format of the program, current or recent RN work experience is strongly recommended).
- A degree from an accredited* associate degree or diploma-nursing program with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA (per 4.0 scale) on previous coursework.
- Submission of official transcripts of all previous college/university coursework.
- A personal interview (arranged conveniently with the applicant) may be required at the discretion of the Nursing Program Admission Team.
*Regional, national faith-related, or national career-related institutions with CHEA-recognized accreditation.
Applicants who are new nursing graduates may be offered provisional admission pending passage of the NCLEX and receiving RN licensure. Receipt of licensure must be obtained by the end of the student’s second term in the RN-BSN program.
- Provisionally-accepted applicants must complete and submit all other required documents (Note, as per above: RN license will be submitted as soon as it is obtained/received, but no later than the end of the student’s second term in the RN-BSN program).
- Failure to comply with provisional admission requirements will result in dismissal from the program.
Additional Items of Note
- All previous college/university credits will be evaluated on an individual basis for transfer to Ottawa University.
- It is the student’s responsibility to have official transcripts from every college/university previously attended forwarded to Ottawa University.
- Evidence of current immunizations (with a health status form) and current copy of CPR (professional/healthcare) card must be received and on file prior to selected practice experiences. These deadline submission dates will be communicated to the students.
- Any student with ADN/diploma nursing credits that are more than ten years old must have their credential validated. This is accomplished by: Successful completion of NRSG 30000 Professional Nursing Theory, Roles, and Practice with a “C” or above and one other required nursing major course with a “C” or above (with a prefix of NRSG).
- Prior ADN/diploma nursing courses will be held in escrow until the successful completion of NRSG 30000 and one other required nursing major course in the program (with a prefix of NRSG) as noted above. Upon successful completion of these two courses, the prior ADN/diploma nursing course credits will be transcribed as transfer credit applicable toward the Ottawa University BSN degree.
*Please Note: Students are responsible for any costs associated with immunization, titers, and/or physical exam. Personal health insurance coverage is highly recommended as a student.
Earn an online RN-to-BSN degree with Ottawa University and advance your career in nursing today!