Are you considering an online degree in history? If you have an interest in history, then you should turn your passion into your profession by enrolling in Ottawa University's online Bachelor in History program. As a history major, you’ll explore the impact of past events on vital contemporary problems and synthesize the study of past human activity with the nature, purpose and principles of governmental systems throughout the world. Then you’ll bring it all together to develop an understanding of public events and trends in both national and international spheres.
Courses in our bachelor in history program will explore the interrelationships between society and the environment, issues of war and peace, and movements for social and political change, and include:
- American Government
- American Women's History
- Global Issues in Historical Perspective
- Religion in American Culture
- Seminar in American History and Government I
- Seminar in World History I
- The American Experience I & II
- Twentieth Century World History
- United States Constitution
- World Civilization I & II
- World Regional Geography
With a major in history, you can apply solid critical-thinking and problem-solving skills to careers, including teaching, research, law, information specialist, intelligence agent, museum curator, archivist, and more. You could even find yourself studying ancient civilizations across the globe!
According to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for historians was $63,680 in May 2019. An online degree in history prepares students for a wide variety of career options where research, problem solving, analysis, and communication skills are valued. In fact, most graduates with a bachelor in history degree have the flexibilty to work outside of traditional historian jobs, and pursue careers in education, communications, law, business, publishing, or journalism.
Numerous local museums, historical societies, government agencies, non-profit and other organizations offer internships or volunteer research opportunities. Archaeological field schools instruct future anthropologists, archaeologists and historians in how to excavate, record, and interpret historical sites and typically require a bachelor degree or higher.
Education and Qualifications
For almost 150 years, Ottawa University has educated students for lifetimes of enlightened faith, exemplary service, inspired leadership and personal growth and significance. Today, we remain an inclusive learning community grounded in faith and focused on the career needs of the future.
Discover the Benefits of Ottawa University
- Generous credit transfer policy – Get credit where credit is due with Ottawa University’s generous credit transfer policy that honors past experience – up to 80 credit hours
- Rich, established history – For almost 150 years, Ottawa University has educated students for lifetimes of enlightened faith, exemplary service, inspired leadership and personal growth and significance. Today, we remain an inclusive learning community grounded in faith and focused on the career needs of the future
- Life-friendly online learning options – At Ottawa University, we’re committed to your professional growth and development – no matter where you are in life. That’s why we offer life-friendly degree programs for working adults, military personnel and their families, or anyone looking for a flexible and convenient program that can be completed outside the classroom
- A supportive learning environment – As an online student at Ottawa University, you will collaborate with and draw upon the expertise and support of faculty members and ministry professionals who are dedicated to your success
Why Choose Ottawa?
The courses in Ottawa University's bachelor in history program are 100% online and accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. We make it easy for you to transfer credits in order to help keep tuition costs down. We also offer courses in accelerated 8-week terms in order to reduce your time to completion. These are just a few of the reasons why we are proud to be the best, fastest, and most affordable option locally in the Kansas City, Phoenix, and Milwaukee areas, as well as serving students nationally through our online degrees.
If you’re interested in earning a Bachelor's degree in history, contact us today.
For curriculum and course descriptions please download a program overview.