About Ottawa’s Online Bachelor’s in Psychology Program
Earn your accelerated, online psychology degree at Ottawa University and gain the skills you need to prepare for a number of career opportunities in the field of mental health, business, and public service. As you pursue your Bachelor of Arts in Psychology degree, you will develop the tools you need to understand and care for others in the behavioral health field. An online degree in Psychology gives you a foundation in human physiological, mental, intellectual, personal and social development, preparing you for any number of careers in the public or private sectors.
In this accredited, online psychology degree program, you will develop critical-thinking skills and the ability to analyze and integrate information from other disciplines and apply it to the field of psychology. A psychology major partners well with your other liberal arts courses and enhances your ethical thinking, self-awareness and empathy within a global perspective.
Specific coursework within this accelerated, online Bachelors in Psychology program is focused on research, theories and processes useful for understanding oneself and others, both as individuals and as members of various societies, groups, cultures, and organizations. Students are encouraged to think critically, to analyze and integrate information from other disciplines and sources, and to draw conclusions which can lead to the application of psychology to the identification and realization of individual and group goals. Graduates are prepared for advanced study leading to professions in counseling and psychotherapy, teaching, church ministry, youth work, research, and organizational development.A communication concentration for your psychology degree program is also available.
Education and Qualifications
A bachelor’s degree in psychology qualifies a person to assist psychologists and other professionals in community mental health centers, vocational rehabilitation offices, and correctional programs. A Master’s degree, licensure and/or certification may be required depending on job duties. Many graduates of our Bachelor in Psychology degree continue their education with a Master of Arts in Counseling degree.
Career Opportunities in Psychology
Upon completion of your online Psychology degree, you will be qualified for a number of careers. Substance abuse counselors can work in a variety of settings, including private practices, hospitals, mental health clinics, and rehabilitation facilities:
- Social services
- Human resources
The following are examples of types of psychologists:
- Clinical psychologists
- Counseling psychologists
- Developmental psychologists
- Forensic psychologists
- Industrial–organizational psychologists
- Rehabilitation psychologists
- School psychologists
According to the U.S Department of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for psychologists is projected to grow because of greater demand for psychological services in schools, hospitals, mental health centers, and social service agencies. Demand for clinical and counseling psychologists will increase as people continue to turn to psychologists for help with their problems. Psychologists also will be needed to provide services to an aging population, helping people deal with the mental and physical changes that happen as they grow older. Psychological services will also be needed for veterans suffering from war trauma, for survivors of other trauma, and for people with developmental disorders, such as autism.
Why Choose Ottawa?
- Generous credit transfer policy – Save time and cost with Ottawa University’s credit transfer policy that honors past experience – up to 80 credit hours.
- Rich, established history – For almost 150 years, Ottawa University has educated students for lifetimes of enlightened faith, exemplary service, inspired leadership, and personal growth and significance. Today, we remain an inclusive learning community grounded in faith and focused on the career needs of the future.
- Life-friendly online learning options – At Ottawa University, we offer life-friendly online degree programs for working adults, military personnel and their families, or anyone looking for a flexible and convenient program that can be completed outside the classroom.
- A supportive learning environment – Whether you live in Kansas City, Milwaukee, Phoenix, or studying from a distance, as an online student at Ottawa University, you’ll draw upon the expertise and support of faculty members who are dedicated to your success.
For curriculum and course descriptions please download a program overview.
For more information about earning your undergraduate degree in psychology degree at Ottawa University or any requirements for joining the program, contact us today.
Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
Master of Science in Addiction Counseling
Master of Arts in Counseling
If you are interested in learning more about the helping profession, then please visit our Human Services Blog Spot