At Ottawa University, we have observed that international students like you energize and invigorate student interactions. You have global experiences and perspectives to bring to the classroom and coursework. We are thrilled you are interested in studying at Ottawa University. You will feel right at home, surrounded by hospitable and friendly faculty and students. When you attend Ottawa University, you can meet new student colleagues, benefit from national and local alumni, and tap into a vast network of over 5,000 international alumni.
Requirements for International High School Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 2.5 or above (above-average grades in secondary school)
- Successful completion of a high school or secondary school diploma or certificate
Requirements for International Graduate Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 3.0 or above
- Successful completion of a bachelor's degree.
Requirements for International Transfer Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 2.0 or above (passing grades in college) for undergraduate program students or GPA of 3.0 or above for graduate students
- A course completion rate (Earned-to-Attempted Percentage) of 70 percent
Requirements for International Executive Program Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 3.0 or above
- Successful completion of a bachelor's degree; first master's preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of corporate work experience
- 3 letters of recommendation (academic or professional; must be written and signed by the recommenders themselves)
Requirements for All International Students
- Meet program-specific admission criteria for at least one academic program
- Submit an affidavit of financial support showing the ability to pay for one full year
- Submit a maximum two-page, double-spaced essay describing your "Sense of Purpose at Ottawa University." Please organize your thoughts around one of the following three components using specific experiences from your life: Personal, Intellectual or Civic/Social
- Verify English Proficiency. This can be established by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo English Test. Countries not required to submit English proficiency scores include Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, England (Great Britain), Eritrea, Fiji, Ghana, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Kenya, Malawi, Montserrat, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Scotland, South Africa, Trinidad & Tobago, The Turks & Caicos, US Virgin Islands, Wales, and Zimbabwe.
- Copy of passport (F1 visa, most recent I-20 and I-94 if you are on F1 visa currently)
TOEFL scores required:
- Minimum Total Score – 79
- There is no minimum subsection scores for undergraduate students.
- Graduate students must receive a minimum of a 20 on all subsection scores with the exception of speaking which must receive a minimum score of 22.
IELTS scores required:
- Overall Score – 6.5
- Minimum Subsection Scores - 5.5
- Zoom interview required if any subsection score is below 6.0.
NOTE: If a student scores 5.0 or 5.5 and has an individual score below 5.0 (4.5 or below), the student will not be admissible to Ottawa University.
Duolingo English Test Scores Required:
- Undergraduate students must achieve a minimum overall score of 105.
- Graduate students must achieve a minimu overall score of 110.
- Undergraduate and graduate students must achieve a minimum score of 95 for each subsection score.
Foreign Credential Evaluation
Students with foreign credentials who are applying to Ottawa University must have their credentials evaluated. Students must submit official copies of appropriate documents including front and back of each credential. Evaluations will not be conducted if official copies are not provided. If you have not taken any college-level courses outside the U.S., you only need to submit a certificate of graduation from a high school. This certificate does not need to be evaluated by a credential evaluator.
Students may wish to use an approved outside evaluator at their expense. Approved evaluators are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Reports include information about the credential awarded and the U.S. equivalency. For a complete list of approved evaluators, visit the NACES website at www.naces.org.
If you are interested in Ottawa University programs, please request a course-by-course evaluation for any college-level courses completed outside of the U.S. to be considered for transfer.
International students interested in applying should click one of the links below:
*NOTE: Transcripts sent from a student or hand-carried to campus will NOT be accepted as official. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Ottawa University from the college, university or high school attended. Unofficial transcripts can be used for admission purposes only.