At Ottawa University, we believe that international students like you bring an exciting new perspective to our campus life. We are pleased you are interested in studying here. You will feel right at home on campus, where you’ll experience the kind of hospitality and friendly faces only found in the middle of the United States. When you’re here, you’re just a short road trip away from several major cities and a wide variety of new experiences.
Requirements for International High School Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 2.5 or above (above-average grades in secondary school)
- Successful completion of a high school or secondary school diploma or certificate
Requirements for International Graduate Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 3.0 or above
- Successful completion of a bachelor's degree.
Requirements for International Transfer Students
- A U.S.-Equivalent GPA of 2.0 or above (passing grades in college) for undergraduate program students or GPA of 3.0 or above for graduate students
- A course completion rate (Earned-to-Attempted Percentage) of 70 percent
Requirements for All International Students
- Meet program-specific admission criteria for at least one academic program
- Submit an affidavit of financial support showing the ability to pay for one full year
- Submit a maximum two-page, double-spaced essay describing your "Sense of Purpose at Ottawa University." Please organize your thoughts around one of the following three components using specific experiences from your life: Personal, Intellectual or Civic/Social
- Verify English Proficiency. This can be established by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Countries not required to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores include Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Copy of passport (F1 visa, most recent I-20 and I-94 if you are on F1 visa currently)
TOEFL scores required:
- Paper-based test – 550
- Computer-based test – 213
- Internet-based test – 79
IELTS scores required:
- Minimum Overall Band Score – 6.0
- No Individual Scores Below – 5.0
NOTE: If a student scores 5.0 or 5.5 and has an individual score below 5.0 (4.5 or below), the student will not be admissible to Ottawa University.
Foreign Credential Evaluation
Students with foreign credentials who are applying to Ottawa University must have their credentials evaluated. Students must submit official copies of appropriate documents including front and back of each credential. Evaluations will not be conducted if official copies are not provided. If you have not taken any college-level courses outside the U.S., you only need to submit a certificate of graduation from a high school. This certificate does not need to be evaluated by a credential evaluator.
Students may wish to use an approved outside evaluator at their expense. Approved evaluators are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Reports include information about the credential awarded and the U.S. equivalency. For a complete list of approved evaluators, visit the NACES website at www.naces.org.
If you are interested in Ottawa University programs, please request a course-by-course evaluation for any college-level courses completed outside of the U.S. to be considered for transfer.
Students applying to Ottawa University's residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, submit all documentation outlined above to:
Ottawa University Office of Admissions
Enrollment Advisor - International Students
1001 South Cedar Street, #17
Ottawa, Kansas 66067
Students admitted to Ottawa University’s residential campus may have an opportunity to attain academic or activity scholarships. For more information please contact the Office of Admissions or visit Scholarships.
Ottawa University’s residential campus, known as The College, is located in the state of Kansas at the heart of the U.S. Ottawa is a Midwest town with more than 12,000 people. Residents of Ottawa enjoy an array of restaurants, shopping, recreational trails and seasonal festivals. To learn more about the community of Ottawa click here.
Other Places of Interest
Road trip, anyone? The College is located in a vibrant college town within easy driving distance of the big city. The best of both worlds! Ottawa is located only 35 minutes from the Kansas City Metro area where sports and the arts come together forming a melting pot of entertainment. If you’re a sports fan, attend any of Kansas City’s professional sporting events including Chiefs football (NFL), Royals baseball (MLB) and Sporting Kansas City (MLS). Want to enjoy the artistic side of Kansas City? Attend a performance at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, catch live music in Kansas City’s Crossroads District or participate in First Fridays and browse the work of local artists. Kansas City also hosts numerous festivals throughout the year providing enjoyment for both locals and visitors. It’s a Midwest cultural experience you won’t want to miss!
Other popular cities are also located within driving distance of Ottawa.
|St. Louis, Missouri
As an international student, you’re looking for a degree that will allow you to stand out in a competitive and globalized world. Whether you’re looking to study business, the humanities or education, Ottawa has a degree that will prepare you for your future career. Learn more about Ottawa’s three schools and find a program that’s right for you. You can also learn more about Ottawa’s academic programs and faculty by visiting the Online Catalog and Faculty Directory.
Are you looking for a college experience beyond the classroom while living life in a different culture? If so, the residential campus in Ottawa is the place for you! Ottawa University is committed to ensuring you experience all that Ottawa has to offer. Attending theater performances and athletic events, writing for the student newspaper, or being active in student organizations, there’s a place for you to be involved and to become a part of the Ottawa University community. Learn more about campus life and student activities offered at Ottawa.
While studying at Ottawa University, all students have the opportunity to prepare for life beyond their college experience. Through Ottawa’s Adawe LifePlan Center and Career Services department, students can prepare for future careers or explore furthering current careers. Learn more on how the Adawe LifePlan Center and Career Services can help you set and achieve your goals.