How Faculty & Staff Can Refer Students to OUAZ Counseling Center:
- In low/medium risk situations, where no immediate danger exists - please notify your supervisor about the student of concern. The information will be passed on to the CARE Team for a multidisciplinary approach and a referral to the Counseling Center and other appropriate services will be initiated. You can also speak directly to the counselor, however outreach at that time will be limited to the counseling center.
- In high risk situations, where a student may be an immediate danger to self or others - please notify Campus Safety and Dean of Student Affairs immediately, for a wellness check to be completed. The counselor will be notified, as needed and appropriate.
- It is always best to speak to the student about your concern for them and if the student agrees to a referral to the Counseling Center, please help them schedule online (additionally, you can fill out the attached referral form and email it to the counselor, if you’d like to be notified of student’s follow through - Counseling Referral Form)
- When a referral is made without discussion with student, the process does not allow for referral source to be notified of outcome of referral.
- Counselor contacts student to schedule. Referral will be closed if student does not respond to counselor’s efforts to schedule within 7 business days.
Anonymous reporting about various topics University-wide is available through the link below (i.e. student safety concern, alcohol/drugs violations, sexual harassment/misconduct, ADA matters) - https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/49049/index.html
**Please note this is not counseling center specific, nor counseling center monitored reporting tool
Faculty Guide to Supporting Student Mental Health PDF
NEW DIRECTIONS - Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
**The OUAZ EAP program is readily available to all full-time- employees, part-time employees, adjunct professors and GA’s.
**Everyone gets 6 free mental health sessions before insurance is billed.
- Log in to access thousands of experts and resources.
- Go to: ndbh.com
- Enter your EAP company login code - OTTAWAU
- View thousands of useful resources
- Chat with EAP Representatives
- Request and EAP session
- Email us your questions
- Access our Frequently Asked Question databases
- For any additional questions or concerns, call 800-624-5544 or visit: ndbh.com
- EAP representatives are available 24/7/365
NEW DIRECTIONS WEBINARS:
Upcoming Webinars (Morning and Afternoon Sessions Available):
January 18th Bringing Mindfulness into Your Life
January 25th Supporting Work/Life Balance
February 15th Importance of Having a Will
February 22nd Defining and Refining Your Stress Style
Use the below link to sign up or see the full list of upcoming EAP Webinars:
NEW DIRECTIONS 2023 SEMINARS